Sunday, April 20, 2008

no, but paula abdul is jewish...

I am home now. I had the greatest weekend with the fam. After my amazingly fun bday was over there was MORE fun to come. The following day my family threw me a surprise bridal shower!! AND... my best friend from college [who recently relocated to Florida and had a baby] was there!! I was so surprised and happy. Later that night my entire family went bowling with my gpa - he got a strike! My mom on the other hand bowled a 19. True Story.

GPA: Holy cow, this is the best birthday ever. I am the luckiest guy in the world.
Me: you sure are grandpa
GPA: Most guys my age at the VA are drooling in wheelchairs... not bowling! This calls for some tall prayers.

The next day we threw his surprise b-day party and man was he ever surprised! There was lots of food, I played darts [did you know you count down from like 305 or something?] and had lots of conversations. I had a particularly funny interaction with my cousin's husband- we will call him Obnoxiously Funny Cousin-in-law [OFCIL]

OFCIL:So how does it feel to be Mormon?
Me: I'm not Mormon.
OFCIL: I heard you were like Lutheran and Jewish or... doesn't that make mormon?
Me: Umm.
OFCIL: You know, like that family with all the kids?
Me: The Von Trapp family?
OFCIL: Yeah! Wait, no. Like the Jackson's...or something. You know, they sing.
Me: I don't think the Jackson's were Mormon. The Partridge family?
[my mom butts in]: No No the Osmond's
OFCIL: Yeah like them, so are you going to have lots of kids?
Me: I'm not Mormon. I'm Jewish. None of those families are Jewish.
OFCIL: Are you still going to have like five kids?
Me: No.

Oh and guess what, on my way home I sat next to the guy with NO LEGS AGAIN! What the hell are the odds of that?? This time we chatted - come to find out he went to the same elementary school only a year behind me! What?! He was funny,

Me: Do people ask you if you were in the Iraq war.
Him: you know what..YES! I went to Arizona and got asked THREE TIMES!
Me: What do you say?
Him: I just say... No.
Me: And what do they say?
Him: Nothing. It's a short conversation.

He said he was looking to get into higher education administration. I told him WSU has a nationally known handicapped program.

Him: Yeah I know, they have this huge grant from the state and if you are handicapped they practically MAKE you go there.
Me: Wow.
Him: Nah, that's not for me. Handicapped people creep me out.

[I almost said "Me too" but I stopped myself.]

the end. Happy Passover!

4 comments:

KJ said...

Me too!

Also, does it weird you out that people keep having questions regarding your fecundity? Just saying.

Jennie said...

I'm glad you had fun! PS: You need to come over and help Heidi and me with that stupid Rayman game.

Tam said...

kj - yeah they need to back up off my fecundity! I guess its the natural progression of questions that follow..."when are you guys getting married?" Sound familiar?
I like to answer all questions related to my womb and marrital status with "I have a belly button"

Jennie! Rayman 1 or 2? Beating 1 is a BLAST!!

Heidi said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend with the family. Yes, can you come beat our Rayman for us?