Thursday, November 20, 2008

If I win I'll give you a dollar

I have been a bad blogger this week because I have been lurking around on HERE and found THIS CONTEST. I've never written anything other than term papers in college, a quasi-thesis, and my vows. But I scored relatively well on all accounts so I figured I'd give this a shot. After all, the rewards are huge. I can't decide which would be cooler: winning $5,000 (minus the $4,999 in taxes you probably have to pay on it) OR having a personal story published in a national women's magazine. Both. I want both. But I am not getting my hopes up for two reasons.

1. The enrollment period is riDONKulously long August 5, 2008 - December 31, 2008. This means a bazillion people will apply and probably real life writers not just public health practitioners posing as a writer like... well me.
2. I never win anything. ever.

My essay is about a gorgeously attractive red-headed girl, who embraces new-aged feminism, finds lust, then love and then learns to commit to another person and her own independent sense of self. It's mostly a fairy tale only not. I heart this story, but then again, I'm biased. The contest review panel includes some real life authors like Pulitzer Prize winner Jane Smiley and Seabiscuit author Laura Hillenbrand. Maybe if I include a horse in my story, it will up my chances.

My reviews so far have been pretty positive - but I've only given it to people who like me.

Jennie! says it's not too mushy and is a modern day love story with a hint of roaring feminism and lip quivering sap that Glamour readers crave.

Heidi says is made her cry four times and even it if was at the very end of a crappy magazine she was sick of reading she would totally read the entire story.

Husband says he's biased because he knows the story, but likes how it has reoccurring themes and shows a woman embracing her own ideals and coming into her own.

Kelly (Heidi's coworker) said she didn't get emotional but it was a really good story to read.

Other than that, I'm just busy getting myself all nervous about Thanksgiving Dinner next week. We're cooking it for the first time and cooking makes me crazy. I did find some awesome things in the NY Times to do with sweet potatoes - who knew?

Not your mother's marshmallow sweet potatoes
Sweet Potato Pizza Tart
Stir-Fried Sweet Potatoes (could be Latkas!)

1 comment:

Jennie said...

We have til December 31st? Oh, I have loads of time, then. Heh.

I really did like it. I could totally see it in a magazine. If they don't print it, you should submit it somewhere else, too.