Thursday, September 25, 2008

You should cry no more, God also loves our canine friends, he's installed a doggy door

Today my friend had to put down her dog, Razor. He was old and his hips were fragile, his body was full of bad cells and he stopped racing his sister to the food bowl long ago. But even though Razor wasn’t as sharp or a spunky as he used to be, through it all he still wagged his stumpy little boxer tail. That’s the thing about dogs, they never lose that kindred spirit. Now he is resting and my friend is missing him terribly. Like I’ve mentioned before, I believe that pets go to a special place when they die and they wait for you. Like the poem says, all the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. And besides, people in the afterlife need pets too.

Most people who know me, know my idea of the afterlife doesn’t coincide with any particular faith – it’s just a disconnected concept – mostly imagined ideas mushed together to help me rationalize the unknown. I believe that although it wasn’t fair that my grandmother succumbed to cancer in her early sixties, she reconnected with the love of her life and her soul watches over me in between playing the slot machines [she came to my wedding but had to leave early for a texas hold ‘em tournament]. My grandma died when I was 15 so my little brother was about 8. My mom went through a blue period where she cried a lot and looked at old pictures of my grandma every afternoon. One day my little brother came home from school and the conversation went something like this:

Second grade brother: Hey mom!
Mom: How was school today honey?
Second grade brother: It was good. Grandma came to visit me today.
Mom: [confused, maybe he forgot about the dying thing] Um, sweetie, how did she do that?
Second grade brother: Well, I was writing at my desk and all of a sudden my pencil flew out of my hand and onto the floor.
Mom:
Second grade brother: You said grandma would be watching over me, so I just figured she wanted me to know she came to class today.
Mom: [smiling] well I am glad she was able to visit you, she loves you very much.
Second grade brother: yeah, I know. Can I have a fruit roll-up for snack?
Mom: Sure, just don’t ball up three of them in your mouth like you did yesterday.

I remember later when my Mom told me that story, she said she wished grandma would have stopped by the house too. I guess my mushy afterlife concept had *some* environmental influence, but I like it none the less.

My dog Bear had to be put down when I was in junior high. He was my best friend and my very first pet [besides the two hermit crabs that my mom killed.] I bet him and Razor are getting into lots of trouble somewhere today...I hope my grandma doesn't throw pencils at them.

When tomorrow starts without me.
Please try to understand,
That an angel came and called my name
And petted me with her hand.
She said my place was ready,
Somewhere far above,
And that I'd have to leave behind
All those I dearly love.

- author unknown

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yeah, so, thanks for making me cry at work!